Friday, June 3, 2011

The Love Of Money

The "money issue" has been on my mind for quite some time, now that my peers and I have completed our educational requirements and are securing long-term jobs.

I'm fortunate (at least for now, because my position is temporary) to work in a professional and intellectual environment that suits my interests.  I did not, however, seek out this position for its pay.  Nor can I imagine myself ever choosing a job or career field based solely on monetary compensation.  That being said, I loath being around people that brag about how much they earn and/or how much they spend on material possessions, and I wonder where the compulsion comes from.  

I knew when I focused my academic study on composition and literature that jobs associated with my degree would not be particularly lucrative.  Yet that knowledge did not dissuade me from pursuing a career in reading and writing.  In my opinion, life is too short to enter into a profession based on dollar signs and subsequently spend the rest of your life trapped doing something you don't love, which brings to mind the following Maya Angelou quote that I only recently stumbled upon:
"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you."
I admire Maya Angelou as a writer, of course, but also for her level-headedness about the "money issue" and where it should rank on one's priority list.

I really like writing fiction and occasionally editorial pieces; and what's more, I consider myself well suited for it!  While talking to my supervisor recently about why I like writing, I blurted out, "I have a lot of opinions and think other people should know about them!" (I've never been one for subtlety.)  While my comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, it has some truth to it.

One final quote from John Ruskin about work, and I'll wrap up this post:
"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed:  They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it.  And they must have a sense of success in it."
Even in work, one should practice moderation!  There are days when I can't get the creative juices flowing, and I have to take some time away from a particular project.  There are others instances in which I've read furiously for several days and can't stomach the thought of reading another page.  I allow myself breaks because I need them. While I want to be a successful published author one day, I also want to keep hold of my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment