Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pay at the Pump

When I am running late, I especially enjoy the convenience of paying for gas at the pump.  Only recently have I discovered how much of a luxury it is, and I suspect that my generation largely takes it for granted.  I didn't realize--until moving into our current residence--that gas stations exist that aren't equipped with pay-at-the-pump technology. I had previously categorized them as obsolete, lumping them in with VHS copies of Disney movies and my Rocky soundtrack on cassette tape.

Though I've just confirmed that I like the convenience of such technology, I believe the advertisement can be misleading.  We consumers are tricked into thinking that it means the entire process, which includes getting a receipt, will take place at the pump.  Yet it has been my experience that, in my moments of utmost desperation and hurry, the receipt dispenser at the pump is inevitably out of paper.  I'm henceforth instructed to "Please see attendant" in order to obtain proof of my purchase. 

Now, why on earth would I want to go in for my receipt if I've chosen to pay at the pump?  Doesn't that defeat the purpose?  What's the use of swiping your card at the pump if you have to go inside for the receipt?  I will not go see your attendant no matter how politely your machine suggests it! 

You know, there are some establishments (like Quiznos) that offer complementary "stuff" if you don't get a receipt with your purchase.  I think someone should force this upon gas stations.  Like, I would get free gas if I paid at the pump and didn't get a receipt at the pump. If such a proposal were granted, we consumers would see a lot fewer attendants and a lot more receipt paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment