Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To Buy, or Not to Buy: Snooki's Novel

This weekend I took the plunge and bought Snooki's novel A Shore Thing.  The jury is still out on whether or not I'm the proud owner of a delicious morsel of literature. As of today I haven't begun reading it, so I'm unable to testify to its quality just yet.  However, I fully expect to enjoy it; and I promise to report back in blog post form regarding my thoughts on the reality star's attempt at fiction.  Honestly though, how can a book go wrong when it begins with an explanation of crafting the perfect "pouf"--perhaps the only thing that Snooki and I have in common? And then features said pouf on the cover of its pages?

Holding A Shore Thing gingerly in Wal-Mart, I prayed silently that no acquaintance or friend of mine would turn the corner. I feared being made fun of and ostracized for contemplating such a purchase! But then I caught sight of its first line and knew in an instant that I had to have it:

"Life was hard.  But a pouf?  That should be easy."
Move over, Herman Melville, with your "Call me Ishmael."  Watch out, Jane Austen, with your oft quoted opener of Pride and Prejudice.  Can the first line of a novel get any better than this? Okay, I'm being facetious.  But it did get my attention, and I can't wait to hear what the rest of Snooki's reading public has to say about her work.

Many people tend to criticize Snooki and the other stars of Jersey Shore, the MTV reality television series whose fourth season will air in August, for a variety of reasons.  I, on the other hand, happen to like the show and was hooked after watching the first couple of episodes.  My mind reeled with that all-important question, "Just what are they going to do next?" 

I was instantly drawn in by the humorous catchlines of Pauly D, especially those referring to his hair:
"My hair's windproof, waterproof, soccerproof, motorcycleproof.  I'm not sure if my hair's bulletproof.  I'm not willin' to try that."
(Is it just me, or is the cast of Jersey Shore preoccupied with hairstyles?)  I'm likewise entertained by the drama that is Ronnie and Sammi's relationship, as it has unfolded before my very eyes on national television. They seem to be drawn to each other like magnets, as if there's some force preventing them from severing ties once and for all.  Yet, they're completely toxic to one another, as the other Jersey Shore castmates have adamantly expressed.  Nevertheless, I google their names periodically to update myself on most the recent status of their on-again, off-again tryst.

But back to Snooki's novel--I think I'm most interested in her work because I'm an aspiring writer myself.  In many ways, it's seems unfair that all it takes to get a book deal in our day is making a spectacle of yourself on national television.  What about the real talent out there that's passed up for publication every day?  I guess the attitude I've decided to take toward it is this:  If Snooki can become a published author, so can I.

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment